Alexander Kai

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Gabriel Ryan

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Benjamin Tyler

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Another phenomenon I dont understand

Why do some wives give their husbands so much credit for taking care of the kids? I swear a teacher at work was driving me nuts today! She went shopping this weekend and to a movie with her sister and some friends, and her husband was home with their 2 kids. And she kept going on and on and on about what a great husband he is for BABYSITTING the kids while she was out?!? And he even fed them! OMG! Isn't that NORMAL stuff husbands / dads SHOULD do on a regular if not daily basis for their kids? Or am I just lucky that this is stuff that David does every day?! I dont get it LOL

Since Gabe's beein born we've really split kid duty. I give Gabe his bath and get him to bed every night, and David does that for Alex. I dont have to tell David to change Gabe if he's peed and or pooped or if his clothes is dirty etc.

I dont understand why the dads are "ALLOWED" to get away with doing NOTHING for their kids while the moms have to do EVERYTHING?! I swear I have a friend that runs around all day after the kids while her husband hangs out watches TV and takes naps all day. I would be so beyond throwing shoes at David if he was like that!

Ok vent over....

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Some men (and women) are just different. My MIL was AMAZED that Jeff would watch Nathan while I went out of town for the weekend. She even wanted to fly to Austin to help him out. (What the?!) I guess Jeff's dad did not really help with the kids AT ALL when they were little. He would sleep in until 10 or 11 and then work late and wanted his wife to keep the kids quiet all morning. Kinda crazy to me, but he really is a nice guy...now at least!

I don't really understand it because my dad was way involved and helped a lot. I guess marriages are just different. Some men don't help much with the kids (hopefully they help in other ways??) and some women let them get away with it. Some even seem to think it is "ok" or to be expected.

Jeff helps a lot, but I still try to tell him thank you and give him props because I want him to know that I appreciate him doing it, so he will keep doing it ;) It's especially a big deal since he doesn't seem to have been raised with a dad that helped all that much. But let's be honest, I really just expect it. I know what you are saying though. I could never handle a dad that didn't help out. I sometimes get really frustrated when I see my BIL and the way his wife does everything for him and the kids. But then I realize that she lets him and that is what works for them.

Sam said...

Sometimes I think it's a generational thing - like in older generations it was expected that the Mom did everything and Dad just brought home a paycheck or whatever... but seriously, it drives me nuts when people talk about a Dad 'babysitting' his own kid. That's so not babysitting, that's watching your own kid! And you should help, it's your kid too!

But it probably has to do with expectations and what people let their spouses get away with and all of that too... or even what they grew up with and think is normal... but sheesh, I am so right there with ya on this one!